Explore this Area
Hiring soon for Spring 2017, training May 22–26 and 29–31
Location: The Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center, Mason Science and Technology Campus, Manassas, VA
- Facilitate cognitive, social, and physical challenge activities that are fun and appropriate to clients’ age and abilities
- Teach and guide clients in their personal and group growth, while striving to ensure their physical and emotional safety
- Assist in the management of the challenge course facilities and equipment
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Ability to attend all training sessions
- Ability to work a minimum of two days per week (Sunday-Saturday) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications or ability to be certified within 30 days of start date
- Experience facilitating experiential education programs, including ropes or challenge courses, team-building, ground initiatives and games
- Adults pursuing a college degree, or graduates in education-related fields, including outdoor education, recreation, education, psychology, or social welfare.
Major Job Functions
- Develop and deliver exciting experiential learning and team building programs to clients to meet clients’ desired goals and The EDGE program outcomes.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment on the challenge course and associated classrooms.
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of clients in their large and small groups within activities and throughout the campus.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for clients and staff.
- Serve as a role model to clients and staff in your attitude and behavior.
Typical Day Overview
The day begins with a 30-minute preparation period before clients’ arrival. When the client arrives, The EDGE team delivers an introduction to the day and divides the large client group into smaller groups of 8–15 participants (the average size is 12 participants). Each program facilitator will work with one small group for their 4 or 6 hour program, guiding their team through different initiatives according to the abilities and function of the group. Each team will usually have an assigned time to participate in one of two high elements. After the program is completed, program facilitators meet for a 30-minute end-of-day processing.
About The EDGE – The Mason Center for Outdoor Experiential Learning
The EDGE – The Mason Center for Outdoor Experiential Learning is located on Mason’s Science and Technology Campus in Manassas, VA. Our 10-acre site features a high and low challenge course, including a 50’ Alpine Tower with Giant Swing and the Total Team Challenge. Mason has operated experiential challenge course programs for more than 30 years; The EDGE site opened in 2009.
The EDGE is open seven days a week and serves clients throughout the year on site as well as off site for our EDGE on Wheels program. A diverse population benefits from The EDGE programs, including public and private schools, religious groups, community groups, sports teams, colleges and universities, corporations, professional organizations, special needs groups, as well as local, state, and federal government and military agencies.
We employ 15–30 seasonal staff along with 4 full-time administrative/management staff.
Pay Rate and Benefits
- $10–$12 per hour depending on job function, with potential for advancement
- Membership at the Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center and Mason Recreation facilities
- High quality training and qualification
- The opportunity to work outside with a great community of educators!
The links and job number for this position will be updated soon.
Complete the online application (link forthcoming) and include a cover letter, resume, 3 references and a challenge course portfolio (if available). If you have problems accessing the job via the link above, go to jobs.gmu.edu, click on “search jobs,” and search for position WGA821.
Email Assistant Director Dave Heath with questions.